Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Moving Read

Sorry that I have not updated the blog lately. Our schedule was a little different, and I haven't seemed to be able to find time to blog. I have quite a few posts that I want to write, but I thought that I would start with this one because I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I finished it.

A few weeks ago, I checked out Same Kind of Different as Me from our church library. I saw a friend reading it, and I heard that it was good; however, it is not the type of book that I would necessarily pick up to read. It is non-fiction, and, typically, I am a fiction type of gal. During our church's Arts and Sports Camp (sort of like VBS), I noticed it in the library, so I decided to give it a try.



I hesitate to even give a brief synopsis of the book because it is so good that I cannot do it justice, but I will give it a shot. The book tells the story of Denver Moore, a homeless black man who lived the early part of his life as a sharecropper in the Deep South, and Ron Hall, a wealthy art dealer from Fort Worth. The two are brought together through Ron's wife Debbie who has an amazing heart and a love for the brokenhearted. Through Debbie's vision, both Ron and Denver are changed as well as the city around them.

Though it may sound like a typical story, it is anything but that. Each man has a unique voice and perspective that fills each chapter and keeps the pages turning. It is a story of hope, and it is extremely convicting. As I read this book, I sobbed through the heartaches and devastation that each man faces, but I was encouraged and amazed to see the work of Christ in their lives. Ron's wife is a woman of amazing character, and her example has challenged me to care for those who no one else seems to even notice.

The Bible clearly says that we are to minister to the poor, and I have been convicted for a while that I am not fulfilling this command. This book gives a beautiful picture of how Christ calls us to minister to those around us and how he desires for us to live. I am sincerely praying that he will show me how to reach out to the needy around me. God's providence throughout the lives of these people is clearly evident and is an awesome testimony of how He uses all things for His glory.

This description is completely inadequate, but suffice it to say that the book is truly encouraging. Go buy it/ check it out now, and when you read it, let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely planning on reading this book now... maybe I can grab it at the library when you return it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Rebekkah! I saw your blog on Carrie's sidebar. I'm glad you started one. It's fun to read about what's going on with others and hear the thoughts, book suggestions, etc. I looked at all of your old posts. The pics are precious and I love gardening too! Looks like y'all have been super busy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really good book! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete