Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Fun in Pascagoula!

Last week I decided to take the boys to spend some time in Pascagoula with my family.  Tackling a five hour drive alone with Carver and Walker is sometimes tricky, so we decided to hitch a ride with my sister.  She and my brother-in-law were in Jackson for a tennis tournament, so David took us to meet them on Sunday. 

We always have a ton of things that we plan to do while on the Coast, but we usually end up having to scale back because the kiddos get tired and things just take longer than I plan for them to take.  We had hoped to go to the Lynn Meadows Discovery Center, and I had wanted to call a few of my friends to get together and catch up; however, both of those agenda items got put off until next time.

Here is a rundown of our week:

On Sunday, we got up super early so that we could get dressed and drive to Jackson to attend church at Trinity.  We miss our old church and love getting to worship there when we have the chance.  I got to see Carrie and many of our church friends, so that was super nice.  After church, we went to lunch at Honey Baked Ham and then ran to Dillard's.  I really wanted a new swim suit, so I thought that I could run in, try a few, and get David's input.  Well, we ended up only having about twenty minutes until I had to meet my sister, so, obviously, I didn't have much success.  Bathing suit shopping is so hard!!!  I bought three to take and try, and we ran out to the parking lot to load our stuff in my sister's car.  The ride to Pascagoula was blissfully uneventful (well, minus Walker receiving a light kick in the face from his older brother).  I was so thankful that we had no crazy potty stops!  Usually, when I am by myself, Carver has to go to the potty a couple of times, and that is somewhat stressful because I have to tote them both inside and get Carver on and off the potty while holding Walker.  If you know me, you probably know that germy places like public bathrooms give me the heebie-jeebies, so suffice it to say that my children are making me a stronger person.  But, I digress.  We made it safely to Pascagoula and had a low-key night with my family.

Monday came bright and early.  Both boys were up before 6:30 ready to start the day, but it was raining.  We stayed inside and visited until around lunch time.  After lunch, I put Walker down for his nap, and Carver and I went shopping in Gulfport with my mom and my nephew Caleb.  My dad was so sweet to keep Walker.  Papa is Walker's favorite person, so they had a good time at home.  We picked up a few things at the Outlet Mall and then went to the Dillard's in Biloxi to try to find a bathing suit for me.  The three from Sunday were no's.  After a ridiculous amount of trying-on, I found one I liked.  Everyone was tired after that excursion, so we went back home. 

The early wake-up time repeated itself on Tuesday.  We had our morning coffee and started getting ready for the day.  Walker took a morning nap while I finished getting dressed and worked with Carver on some of his letter E activities.  I ran and got some Edd's for lunch.  If you aren't from the Coast, Edd's is a legendary Pascagoula hamburger joint that has been there since the 1950's.  They have awesome chili-cheese burgers and milkshakes.  When we finished our lunch, we loaded up and went to The Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Gulfport.  The kids got to see a cockatoo, stingrays, nurse sharks, horseshoe crabs, and dolphins.  Both of my boys loved the dolphin show, and I really enjoyed the touch-pool.  I thought Carver would love touching the sharks and stingrays, but he was very nervous about it.  He liked to watch me do it, though.  At the end of the day, we were all hot and exhausted.  Walker had kept us especially busy chasing after him.  My parents and I took the boys to grab a quick supper, and then we put them to bed early!

At the touch pools with Carver and Alex

 Walker, Papa, and Caleb
 
 Sweetness and mischief rolled into one!
 
The boys decided to sleep in on Wednesday and woke up at 7.  Ha!  They were just too excited to be at Nanny and Papa's.  We had thought about going to Lynn Meadows but decided against it because the boys were tired from the day before.  I didn't want to overwhelm them by cramming their schedules full, so we opted to go to the library for story time.  We explored the kids section, did some coloring, and checked out a few books on tape for our ride home.  The Pascagoula library had a huge section of audio books for kids, and I was so excited to find Winnie-the-Pooh, Farmer Boy, and James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Animal Tales.  We have particularly enjoyed Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  Much of it is above Carver's head, but he likes trying to listen and asks many questions about what he hears.  After the library, we stopped by Edd's again.  This time we got a strawberry milkshake as a special treat.  Dad made BLT's for lunch with tomatoes from his garden.  They were delicious!  After lunch, Walker went down for a nap, and Carver and I got ready to go to the pool with my sister and my nephew Alex.  While we waited for her to get off of work, we went through old pictures.  I always love looking back at those photos because they provide many laughs and fond recollections.  I really think I went through the most awkward stage of anyone in my family.  Some of the pictures are hysterical...think big glasses, high-waters, and a polaroid camera around my neck! We had a good time at the pool.  Carver is really enjoying the water this year, and the Puddle Jumper has been an amazing help.  While we were swimming, Nanny and Papa were spoiling Walker.  He learned quickly where the Vanilla Wafers were kept and figured out how to get as many as he liked. :)  Carver got to spend the night at Aunt Mandy's for the first time on Wednesday and loved it so much that he was sad to come back to my mom's on Thursday!

We met my Aunt Sharon for breakfast on Thursday morning.  It was great to catch up, and afterwards my Dad and I took Carver to the beach to dig in the sand while Walker took a nap.  I was sad that Walker didn't get to go, but it worked out for the best because the sweet baby eats everything; I can't imagine that sand digests well!!!  We built a little castle, but we didn't stay long because it was really hot.  My sister and I had planned a 40th anniversary dinner for my parents that night, so when the kids went down for their afternoon naps, we got busy.  I cut some flowers from my mom's yard, gathered up some old pictures that I had found of my parents through the years, and headed to my sister's to decorate.  I arranged the flowers, and Mandy (my sister) worked on some of the other details.  My parents knew that we were going to have a dinner together and that my sister's friend was catering it, but they didn't know that we had invited a few guests to help us celebrate.  The night was a success, and we had a great time celebrating a wonderful marriage that has lasted 40 years!  My parents have really set a great example for us. 

 The table
 
 Pictures through the years
 
 Happy 40th Wedding Anniversary!
 
We packed up on Friday to head back to the Delta.  Before we left, we stopped by to see my neighbor Kay in a rehabilitation facility.  She fell and broke her leg quite a while back and is making great progress!  She is more like a grandmother to me than a neighbor, and we were so happy to get to visit with her.  The boys provided excellent entertainment!  The ride back was pretty good, but we were happy to be out of the car.  I was so thankful that my parents were more than willing to bring us back home.  They stayed the night on Friday, and we all drove to Kosciusko on Saturday to pick up part of a grass-fed cow that we had ordered together.  From there, we parted ways.  I am always so sad to see my parents go home, but I look forward to our next visit. 

The boys and I were so happy to see David, and it is always nice to get back into a routine.  Both of my boys do really well on a schedule, and so does their mama for that matter!



No comments:

Post a Comment